A portion of the profits from this site goes to the
Morris Animal Foundation and the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Foundation
for research on diseases of dogs.
So please bookmark this site and come back often
because you are helping contribute to research to better the lives of our best friends.
The items in this column are Amazon items and must be ordered from Amazon.
When you click on the item, you will be taken to the Amazon site to complete your purchase.
- by John J. EnsmingerYou have lost a limb in combat and have recently acquired a dog trained to retrieve items for you and to help you move in and out of your wheelchair. Can you take the dog into the cabin of an airplane to fly with you? If your pit bull is a pet that has learned to alert you to oncoming seizures, can you move into an apartment building despite the fact the building s management has adopted a policy ... More
- A Dog Who's Always Welcome: Assistance and Therapy Dog Trainers Teach You How to Socialize and Train Your Companion Dogby Lorie LongYou can take her with you...If you're like most dog owners, you want a trustworthy companion you can take on family vacations, to ball games, on hikes, and to cafes and festivals. You want your dog to behave when you have guests, stay peacefully at hotels, ride calmly in elevators, and maintain proper doggie decorum in all kinds of situations.Chances are, you've watched and admired assistan ... More
- by Marcie DavisWorking Like Dogs: The Service Dog Guidebook is the resource book for service dogs that captures personal stories, checklists and practical tips to provide the reader with an A-Z guide about service dogs. It is a must read for anyone who is considering a service dog, has a service dog, is raising or is responsible for the care of a service dog, and dog lovers alike who want to connect with the pow ... More
- by Kathy Diamond DavisYou and your dog can become a therapy dog team! Are you looking for a new and meaningful way to work with your dog? Do you want to improve the lives of those who because of illness or disability would benefit from visits with a volunteer canine? Then think about becoming a Therapy Dog Team and you will create the kind of magic that enriches lives. Therapy Dogs, Training Your Dog to Reach Others ... More
- The Golden Bridge: A Guide to Assistance Dogs for Children Challenged By Autism or Other Developmental Disabilities (New Discoveries in the ... S.) (New Directions in the Human-Animal Bond)by Patty Dobbs GrossIn The Golden Bridge, Patty Dobbs Gross provides both personal and professional advice on how specially bred and trained dogs help to facilitate communication for children with autism and other developmental disabilities. This important information compendium is a guide for parents dealing with the social, emotional, and educational issues related to raising children with challenges. Myths and lab ... More
- by Kris ButlerAs more and more people adjust to the physical and emotional challenges of today's chaotic world, therapy dogs are proving their worth in diverse settings. No one knows this better than Kris Butler. Her workshops integrate the science of human health and education with the magic of hands-on interactions with appropriate dogs to teach health care providers, educators, volunteers, assessors, and dog ... More
- by Dawn A. MarcusDogs that visit patients with cancer have been convincingly shown to reduce stress, loneliness, and mood disturbance that may complicate cancer care. In addition, dogs may provide important motivation for patients to maintain rehabilitation programs that have been shown to reduce cancer risk and improve cancer survival. Outlining all of these issues and many more, Therapy Dogs in Cancer Care: A Va ... More
- by Dawn MarcusMedical studies have consistently shown that patients benefit from therapy dog visits. One recent study of 59 adults showed that following a therapy dog visit their energy levels increased, respiratory rated calmed significantly and pain scores decreased by over 20 percent. Mood scores improved by over 60 percent with the patients feeling less tense, anxious, angry, tied depressed and dejected. ... More
- by Stewart Nordensson, Lydia KelleyTEAMWORK II is a dog training manual written for people with disabilities to be able to train their own dogs to assist them in their daily lives. TEAMWORK I teaches basic obedience & canine behavior. This edition of TEAMWORK II which as been revised and expanded, teaches the service exercises, such as retrieving dropped objects, turning on lights, pulling a wheelchair, etc. Both TEAMWORK I and TEA ... More
- by Jane Miller"Animals are more complete than people. They are wonderful teachers, therapists and role models for us all. Read Healing Companions and learn about their ability to guide and heal us all."--Bernie Siegel, MD, author of Smudge Bunny As the more than 65 million dog owners in America will attest, there's something about the presence of a dog that inspires confidence, nurtures emotional well-being, an ... More
- by Rita Martinez CPDT-K, Sue Barns Ph.D.The Scent of Safety You can harness dogs' amazing sense of smell to manage your diabetes. Many dogs can perform this life-saving task, but they must be trained if you are to produce a reliable diabetic alert service dog (DAD). The authors bring to this book extensive experience in training for diabetic alert and assistance dog work in particular, and over half a century of training dogs for search ... More
- Handbook on Animal-Assisted Therapy, Third Edition: Theoretical Foundations and Guidelines for PracticeIn the 10 years since the first edition of Handbook on Animal-Assisted Therapy published, the field has changed considerably. The third edition of the Handbook highlights advances in the field, with 10 new chapters and over 50% new material. In reading this book, therapists will discover the benefits of incorporating animal assisted therapy into their practice, how to design and implement ... More
- by Ed Eames, Toni EamesPartners in Independence is a comprehensive guide on living and working with service dogs. Assistance dogs have a greater part in the lives of disabled than ever before. This book will offer resources, training, traveling and more for the disabled. A indispensable primer on Assistance Dogs. Learn how to become an active part by providing freedom to disabled persons through animals. Includes...< ... More
- by Susan Bertrand, Mary A. Shafer, Sharon Sakson, Crystal ParsonsIn a world that reveres perfection and disdains anything less, most of us realize that nothing and no one can truly measure up. Yet, when it comes to choosing companion animals, most folks won t settle for less. These stories are about those animals who through birth or injury have been rendered less than perfect, and the humans who found love enough to welcome them into their hearts and homes. ... More
- by Debby KayWhether you're a professional training medical alert dogs or termite detection dogs or an amateur teaching your dog to find your keys, the Super Sniffer Drill Book is an invaluable resource you won't want to be without.
- by Melissa Y Winkle OTR/LThe human-animal bond has therapeutic value regardless of the nature of the interaction. Recently, the work has begun to diverge into two distinct directions. First, many organizations continue to support volunteer visiting teams in a variety of community settings; however, a secondary breed of programs are emerging as more healthcare, social service, and educational practitioners carry the respo ... More
- by Melissa Y Winkle OTR/LAnimals have gained significant roles in society including companions, confidants and visitors. The animal magnetism extends into multidisciplinary arenas as healthcare and educational providers recognize the effectiveness of involving trained animals in their careers. Animal assisted therapy (AAT) and animal assisted education (AAE) are very different than volunteer visitations. The navigation ... More
- by Melissa Y. Winkle OTR/LProfessional Applications of Animal Assisted Interventions: Eva's Favorites is a collection of animal assisted intervention activities used in occupational therapy with Eva. Many of these activities were previously published in Dogwood Doga, Blue Dog Book, or Gray Dog Book. This collection was pulled together to celebrate Eva's life and her legacy. While it is a tribute to her, it is filled with a ... More
- by Melissa Y Winkle OTR/LThe domestication of dogs has led us across a very meaningful journey. Around the world, dogs are seen as confidants, family members, and a large part of our social network. Over time, dogs have been recognized for their natural healing ability to perform volunteer work within healthcare and human service environments. In recent times, the human-animal bond is recognized as a legitimate interventi ... More
- by Dogwise PublishingYou and your dog can become a therapy dog team! Are you looking for a new and meaningful way to work with your dog? Do you want to improve the lives of those who because of illness or disability would benefit from visits with a volunteer canine "therapist"? Then think bout becoming a Therapy Dog Team and you will create the kind of magic that enriches lives. Therapy Dogs, Training Your Dog to Reac ... More
- by Academic PressIn the 10 years since the first edition of Handbook on Animal-Assisted Therapy published, the field has changed considerably. The third edition of the Handbook highlights advances in the field, with 10 new chapters and over 50% new material. In reading this book, therapists will discover the benefits of incorporating animal assisted therapy into their practice, how to design and implement ... More
- by Barbara Handelman =This is a 4-part DVD series that is produced by Barbara Handelman, M.Ed, CDBC. **This DVD series includes 4 DVDs and 1 instructional CD designed to teach you to clicker train your own assistance dog.**DVD 1 is Ready, Aim, Touch: Basic Target Training & Advanced Applications, Approximately 45 minutes, How to train nose targeting and foot targeting behaviors. Using targeting to work with light switc ... More
- by Premier PetDirectstop animal deterrent spray. Revolutionary citronella formula interrupts attacks by surprising and distracting animals with a powerful and unusual scent, giving the user valuable time to move to a safe place. Highly effective for dealing with low to medium level aggression, both inter-dog and dog-to-human. Easily fits into the pockets of joggers, dog walkers and family members who enjoy taki ... More